Take a common sense approach to getting and using data on dangerous substances.
Employers have a duty to comply with legislation governing information, notification, supply, packaging, labelling and control of dangerous substances and preparations used within the workplace.
This 1-day course is designed to clarify and update duties imposed by COSHH Regulations.
- To contribute to the safer use of hazardous substances in co-operation with managers and supervisors. What is meant by the term ‘substance hazardous to health?
- To understand how hazardous substances can cause ill health and injury
- To understand the different ways in which hazardous substances may be identified
- To understand the principles for controlling substances hazardous to health and apply them in a practical context
- To demonstrate a general understanding of the value and purpose of conducting a COSHH assessment and what employees can expect of the process
- State the main requirements of the regulations and help with systems, procedures and records to prove compliance
- How to apply a common sense approach to getting and using valid relevant data
- Suggest actions to comply with ‘reasonable practical’ priorities
- Course objectives
- Getting yourself organised to comply with COSHH Regulations
- COSHH assessments and using hazard data sheets to your best advantage
- Defining the steps towards health-risk assessment; who does what?
- Controlling the risks: “so far as is reasonably practicable”
- Types of substances hazardous to health in the workplace
- Health effects of hazardous substances and their causes
- Summary / review and discussion
- End Test
This course uses a structured series of lively and interesting case studies, exercises and practical skills activities that will reinforce your learning.
The course is available exclusively for your organisation and can be tailored to your exact needs. Please contact us to get more information or call 01656 644300 to speak with one of our advisors.