About the IOSH Managing Safely Course
The IOSH Managing Safely certificate is awarded by the Institute of Occupational Health and Safety (IOSH), a Chartered membership body. The course shows you how to implement basic health and safety at work, so you can work to keep your company compliant with UK laws while controlling risks and hazards. It's a practical programme, full of step-by-step guidance, and with a sharp business focus.
When you successfully complete the IOSH Managing Safely course, you will be awarded an IOSH Managing Safely certificate - a nationally recognised and respected training accreditation.
Who is the course for?
IOSH Managing Safely is designed for managers and supervisors in any sector, and any organisation concerned with safety management. It’s designed to get managers up to speed on the practical actions they need to take to handle health and safety in their teams.
There are many great reasons to take the Managing Safely qualification, read more in our blog about why you should take the course.
IOSH Managing Safely course content
The Managing Safely course will show you exactly why health and safety is an essential part of a manager's job.
The syllabus reflects the real requirements of safer working in 2020. You'll see practical improvements that benefit you, your colleagues and wider business from the very first module.
- Introducing Managing Safely
- Assessing risks
- Controlling risks
- Understanding your responsibilities
- Identifying hazards
- Investigating accidents and incidents
- Measuring performance
- Protecting our environment
More information about the syllabus and course content can be found here.
7 Key Benefits and Learning Outcomes
On completion of the course, you'll be able to:
- Apply basic management principles and practices to workplace health and safety issues as part of a total management strategy
- Set achievable health and safety objectives as well as plan and implement courses of action to achieve those objectives
- Recognise health and safety hazards present in the workplace
- Carry out and record basic assessments of the risks associated with workplace hazards, and recommend suitable control measures
- Take account of risks arising from ergonomic factors
- Ensure that adequate information, training and supervision is provided for employees
- Investigate an accident or incident involving injury or damage to determine the causes and take appropriate actions
IOSH Managing Safely assessments and certificate
Course assessment tests your understanding of health and safety basics. There are two assessments in the course:
- A multi-format question exam which tests your health, safety and environmental knowledge
- A risk assessment project which sees you assessing the risks in your workplace
Both of which must be completed to gain certification. On successful completion of both assessments, you will be awarded an IOSH Managing Safely certificate, which will be sent to you by post and will arrive within 2-3 weeks.
The first-time pass rate on TSW's IOSH Managing Safely is over 99%.* If you do fail the assessment, you can arrange a resit to be taken within 20 working days. Cost available on application.
How much is the IOSH Managing Safely course?
The cost of the course depends on how you want to learn:
- Our open programme courses start from £495+VAT
- The cost of in-house courses, run exclusively for your organisation, vary based on numbers and specific requirements
Your IOSH registration and certification are included in the IOSH course cost, as well as all of your course materials.
To find out more about the costs of taking this course, see our costs page.
Taking the course with TSW
- Our IOSH trainers have been handpicked for their health and safety expertise. They're IOSH qualified, with a memorable teaching style and many years of service as a health and safety professional
- We've got three ways for you to study IOSH, so you have complete control and flexibility over how you learn
- We constantly review our IOSH Managing Safely course based on your feedback, so you'll always have a great experience with us
You're in good hands
Luke Pitt is TSW's Head of Health and Safety. He has revitalised our IOSH Managing Safely course since he joined the ranks. Our learners love Luke's sessions because he makes the course contents fun, memorable and relatable.
He was awarded the standard of Recognised Safety Practitioner by IIRSM, so he spends spend a lot of time mentoring health and safety practitioners in the industry as a representative of IOSH. He knows the Chartered Body inside out - there's nothing he can't tell you.
He has two fellowships with the International Institute of Risk and Safety Management and the Royal Society for Public Health and has been a registered member of the Occupational Safety and Health Consultants Register since it began.
Pullmaflex Case Study
Pullmaflex's middle managers joined our IOSH Managing Safely course to deal with the health and safety challenges in their role and address the wider health and safety requirements of the business.
“We have used TSW previously and found that both the service and knowledge of the consultant was excellent. Managers now have a better understanding of health and safety risks, responsibilities and the importance of 'why' so they can communicate to their direct reports. The training met our objectives.” - Pullmaflex
*12 learners took the exam on 11 December 2019, passing with 37 marks or more - 53, 51, 43, 57, 53, 40, 52, 50, 37, 46, 45, and 56.