What is IOSH Managing Safely?
IOSH Managing Safely is a level 2 health and safety training for managers. It focuses on hazard perception and risk management, to give managers an understanding of their responsibilities in health and safety.
Managing Safely is awarded by the Institute of Occupational Health and Safety (IOSH), a Chartered membership body.
The course shows you how to apply health and safety at work, so you can work to keep your company compliant with UK laws while controlling risks and hazards. It's a practical programme, full of step-by-step guidance, and with a sharp business focus.
When you successfully complete the Managing Safely course, you will be awarded an IOSH Managing Safely certificate - a nationally recognised and respected training accreditation.
IOSH certificate training for your business
The IOSH certificate helps your team understand how to work together to keep everyone safer, plus it keeps the business compliant with UK health and safety laws.
- Reduce hazards that cause injuries and absence through risk assessments
- Control risks that could lead to prosecution, sentencing and fines
- Standardise process for manual handling and harmful substance management
- Apply protective measures quickly
- Safeguard mental health and reduce work-related ill health
We recommend that every UK business invests in IOSH Managing Safely health and safety training. It's useful for anyone that works with or alongside risks and will boost health and safety awareness within your organisation, saving you time and money.
Manage workplace health
It's more important than ever that you manage health and safety efficiently, so your staff can work safely whether they're logging in remotely or on-site at your premises. IOSH Managing Safely will help you to:
- Standardise your processes
- Smooth out health and safety issues
- Improve workplace health and safety
- Reduce work-related ill health and absences
IOSH Managing Safely online
Our brand new online IOSH courses give you the flexibility to take Managing Safely anywhere in the world.
Our e-learning IOSH Managing Safely course gives you access to the full course contents online and guides you through the syllabus using activities, quizzes and exercises. It's the perfect option if you're studying in your own time.
The Virtual IOSH Managing Safely course includes live training with our experts via video call. It's real-time immersive learning so you can ask questions, discuss and share experiences to get more from the course. Plus, there's a live learning environment full of supporting materials to help you study and a 24/7 exclusive chat room for you, your classmates and trainer to use when you need it.
IOSH Managing Safely course content
The Managing Safely course content gives you the tools to tackle the health and safety issues you're responsible for. It will show you exactly why health and safety is an essential part of a manager's job.
The syllabus reflects the real requirements of safer working in 2020. You'll see practical improvements that benefit you, your colleagues and wider business from the very first module.
IOSH Managing Safely course syllabus
- Introducing Managing Safely
- Assessing risks
- Controlling risks
- Understanding your responsibilities
- Identifying hazards
- Investigating accidents and incidents
- Measuring performance
- Protecting our environment
- Apply basic management principles and practices to workplace health and safety issues as part of a total management strategy
- Set achievable health and safety objectives as well as plan and implement courses of action to achieve those objectives
- Recognise health and safety hazards present in the workplace
- Carry out and record basic assessments of the risks associated with workplace hazards, and recommend suitable control measures
- Take account of risks arising from ergonomic factors
- Ensure that adequate information, training and supervision is provided for employees
- Investigate an accident or incident involving injury or damage to determine the causes and take appropriate actions
Managing Safely assessments
Course assessment tests your understanding of health and safety basics. There are two assessments in the course:
- A multi-format question exam which tests your health, safety and environmental knowledge
- A risk assessment project which sees you assessing the risks in your workplace
Both of which must be completed to gain certification. On successful completion of both assessments, you will be awarded an IOSH Managing Safely certificate. The IOSH certificate is sent to you by post and will arrive within 2-3 weeks.
The first-time pass rate on TSW's IOSH Managing Safely is over 99%.* If you do fail the assessment, you can arrange a resit to be taken within 20 working days. Cost available on application.
IOSH Managing Safely exam
To pass the Managing Safely exam, you need to score 36 points out of a possible 60. It's a list of 30 multiple-choice questions - that sounds much easier than a sprawling essay question, but it is still a challenging paper.
We'll make sure you're prepared for the exam. The benefit of doing the exam at the close of the training is that the course contents are still fresh in your mind. The practical and real-world context offered by our expert trainers will also help you to visualise the question and understand how it applies to your world of work.
IOSH course fees
The cost of the course depends on how you want to learn:
- Our open programme courses start from £495+VAT
- The cost of in-house courses, run exclusively for your organisation, vary based on numbers and specific requirements
Your IOSH registration and certification are included in the IOSH course cost, as well as all of your course materials.
To find out more about IOSH course costs, see our costs page.
Managing Safely with TSW
- Our IOSH trainers have been handpicked for their health and safety expertise. They're IOSH qualified, with a memorable teaching style and many years of service as a health and safety professional
- We've got three ways for you to study IOSH, so you have complete control and flexibility over how you learn
- We constantly review our IOSH Managing Safely course based on your feedback, so you'll always have a great experience with us
Meet your IOSH trainer
Luke Pitt is TSW's Head of Health and Safety. He has revitalised our IOSH Managing Safely course since he joined the ranks. Our learners love Luke's sessions because he makes the course contents fun, memorable and relatable.
He was awarded the standard of Recognised Safety Practitioner by IIRSM, so he spends spend a lot of time mentoring health and safety practitioners in the industry as a representative of IOSH. He knows the Chartered Body inside out - there's nothing he can't tell you.
He has two fellowships with the International Institute of Risk and Safety Management and the Royal Society for Public Health and has been a registered member of the Occupational Safety and Health Consultants Register since it began.
Read our Independent IOSH reviews
When you finish your TSW IOSH Managing Safely course, we'll ask for your feedback via our customer evaluation partner, Coursecheck. Your feedback helps us to continuously improve our service.
*12 learners took the exam on 11 December 2019, passing with 37 marks or more - 53, 51, 43, 57, 53, 40, 52, 50, 37, 46, 45, and 56.