An Institute of Leadership and Management (ILM) course is a training experience for leaders and managers. It caters from entry-level or junior management up to senior managers and CEOs.
Each course comprises multiple topics, called units, which are chosen to develop different leadership and management skills. The course can be applied to management in any sector and transferred if you change roles.
Here are the ILM courses we offer at TSW Training (available online or in-house):
- ILM Level 2 Award in Leadership and Team Skills – Boost a team leader’s performance and make the transition from working in a team to leading a team.
- ILM Level 3 Award in Coaching – Get the coaching theory you need and an opportunity to practice workplace coaching with ILM.
- ILM Level 3 Award in Leadership and Management – Develop your new, aspiring and practising line managers and supervisors into high-performing managers.
- ILM Level 5 in Coaching and Mentoring – A course for managers responsible for coaching and mentoring as part of their day-to-day role.
- ILM Level Award 5 in Leadership and Management – Develop middle management skills and experience.
*Rated 4.8 out of 5 by learners on Coursecheck, TSW Training has been a trusted and established training provider of choice for 56 years.
ILM supports your natural management style and enhances it with practical advice and techniques.
At every level, ILM is a solid career development course and is increasingly popular with organisations, leaders and managers globally.
ILM delivers the skills, knowledge, understanding and experience you need to successfully deliver in your leadership and/or management role.
Volvo Case Study
Volvo were searching for a training provider who could deliver a Leadership and Management Programme to develop practising and aspiring Managers in line with the needs of the business.
“Arranging our ILM Level 3 Certificate through TSW Training couldn’t have been easier as they tailored the training to accommodate our chosen modules and were flexible in terms of delivery locations and dates. The biggest factor for us was that TSW provide an e-learning system which educates and tests understanding; it was helpful to receive analysis from this system (modules completed and test scores) as we could easily monitor employees’ progress and offer extra support where required. 10/10!” – Maxine (Knowles) Linehan, Human Resources Manager, Volvo.
Read more about how TSW Training helped Volvo develop the skills of their managers here
How to take an ILM course
ILM is widely available across the UK, and delivered by expert training providers like TSW Training.
Our ILM courses can be taken online or in person, and are usually open to the public so that you can train alongside other managers at the same level as you from different industries and businesses.
Organisations with multiple employees to train can opt for an in-house bespoke ILM programme delivered on-site or at a venue of their choice. The ILM training content can be tailored to align with your business’s strategies, corporate values, processes and policies, creating contextualised training that increases return on investment.
ILM levels explained
There are seven levels of ILM qualification, each designed to develop leaders and managers with different levels of experience, seniority, and role:
- Level 2 – For Team Leaders and Team Supervisors
- Level 3 – For Junior Managers, First Line Managers and Supervisors
- Level 4/5 – Middle Managers
- Level 6/7 – Senior Managers and Directors of smaller organisations
- Level 7 – Senior Leaders, CEO’s and Directors of large divisions
*You don’t need to work through each level. For example, if you’re already a senior manager, you can start at level 6.
ILM Awards, Certificates and Diplomas
Now that you know which level is right for you, it is time to consider the length and scope of the course you would like to take.
ILM’s qualifications come in various shapes and sizes, denoted by the words ‘award’, ‘certificate’ and ‘ diploma’. Each type requires a different number of guided learning hours, units/topics, and assignments.
Awards are the shortest ILM qualifications, requiring fewer days’ of course attendance. They focus on critical topics and demand fewer assignments. They tend to take 10 to 120 hours to complete.
Certificates are more in-depth than the ILM awards. The syllabus is thorough and built to give you a more extensive base of knowledge and skills. You will join more training sessions and have a larger number of assignments to complete.
ILM Certificates tend to account for 130 to 360 hours of learning.
Diplomas are the most comprehensive qualification, covering the greatest number of leadership and management units.
A Diploma will typically be at least ten days of training and several assignments. You’ll clock in 370 hours of learning – it’s expert-level training.
Each level of qualification has varying requirements – enquire with us today to discuss the exact number of days and details on assessment.
Whether you choose the award, certificate or diploma, you will still receive a qualification certificate at the level you decide to study.
For example, if you take an ILM level 3 Award in Leadership and Management, you will be able to say you have a level 3 qualification in management, the same as if you take a much longer and more intensive ILM level 3 Diploma.
What are the benefits of taking an ILM course?
As an approved ILM training provider, we have witnessed the many benefits for leaders, managers and organisations from participating in ILM qualifications.
Here are just some:
- Internationally recognised qualifications travel well
- Vocational qualifications that deliver real-world skills
- ILM Qualifications are highly recommended by employers
- A quick impact on management skills and knowledge
- Viewed positively by employers and employees
- Every learner gets a membership to the Institute Of Leadership and Management
- Less time away from the workplace than traditional management development
- Develop a wide range of management and leadership skills
- ILM’s deliver a proven return on investment for employers
Which ILM course is right for you?
If you decide to take an award, you will cover much fewer units and content than in a certificate or diploma course. To select the right course for you, you must know how you want to develop your skills, as well as the amount of time you have for course attendance and ILM assignment completion.
Six reasons why you should choose an ILM Course:
- ILM training is focused on the place of work, using work-based assessment and contextualised learning to make sure leader and managers put their skills into action
- 90% of ILM learners say they’re able to apply the leadership and management learning to their day-to-day role*
- 94% of employers would recommend ILM to another organisation looking to improve leadership and management skills*
- 9 out of 10 learners would recommend ILM, which is a testament to their quality*
- The qualifications are flexible, offering organisations and learners various options on the level, content covered, and how many units are taken.
- All ILM providers and the courses they offer have been quality assured by ILM, so you know you are getting a high standard of learning
*Harris Interactive research for ILM, July 2018. Sample size: 740 interviews with 101 training providers, 80 employers and 559 learners.
ILM Recognised Courses
An impactful ILM management course can and should come in all shapes and sizes.
We understand that you may not want a formal management qualification, but you might still like to know that the training you invest in for your leaders and managers is recognisable and quality-assured.
ILM review and endorse many of TSW Training’s management training programmes, ensuring that they meet the highest standards. This means you can be assured that you are receiving high-quality leadership and management training.
With all of these programmes, we can tailor their length, content and delivery, making them perfect for our public courses and in-house delivery.
The courses below have been designed by TSW Training from the ground up and submitted to ILM for quality assurance.
- Core Skills for Team Leaders
- Core Skills for Management
- Core Skills for Coaching
- Core Skills for Project Management
- HR Skills for Line Managers
- Presentation and Public Speaking Skills
Do you have a leadership and management training need in your organisation which you require an ILM-recognised course for? You can enquire here for more information on how we can run one of the courses above or design a new one just for you and your needs.
Studying Membership of The Institute of Leadership and Management
If you decide to take an ILM qualification, you will receive complimentary access to studying membership, a community of over 30,000 leaders and managers.
You will gain access to a wide range of expert online resources, including interactive tests, guides, journals, webinars, blogs, podcasts and free events.
How do I activate my ILM Membership?
To activate your membership with ILM, all you need is the enrolment number that your provider will give you upon registration.
If your ILM provider has already provided The Institute with your email address, please check your mailbox – an automatic activation link from The Institute should have been sent to you directly.
If you are yet to receive an email, you can complete The Institute’s online form to register for free membership.